STEM Sections

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Be the Beat

Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive...This song will be forever embedded into my brain, but all for a good cause. 

On February 27, we participated in our annual Jump Rope for Heart day, which raises money for the American Heart Association.  Last year, a group of my students "studying to be a doctor" helped to train the entire school on CPR compressions.  I wanted to continue helping bring awareness to this crucial skill so 12 of my students participated again this year.

We had 20 minutes to impress on the students that you can save a life with only your hands.  Videos were shown and hands-on practice was given to over 800 students in one day!  I received a lot of feedback from my students such as:

"My core is so sore."
"I have calluses on my fingers."
"This was harder on my body than doing the pacer."

My favorite comment was:

"Can we make our own video for next year?"

This brings me back to the iconic 1977 song I referenced.  In one video that we watched, they explained that the number of compressions per minute should be around 100 a minute.  In order for the students to keep that beat, they played "Stayin Alive."  By doing the compressions to this song, the students are able to ensure the compressions are being timed accurately. 

It is a STEM teacher's dream to have her students ask to create a video because they feel they can make one better than the one we watched.  They proceeded to tell me what teachers they could use, how it could be edited, and what the storyboard would look like for it.  I guess those kids really are paying attention in class!  :)

Check out this clip of our students rocking out chest compressions.


On a serious note, compressions can save a life.  For more information, please check out Be the Beat's website or ask one of the 800 students in our school.

Here's to STEM!
Mrs. Giran

No comments:

Post a Comment